A Rare Glimpse

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

This past Sunday was a crazy day... let me explain. After church, I head to work at the toy store. It is packed with people and children as I walk in. Poor JS, she was completely on her own for an hour! Anyways, a busy store is good, since that means business. We get super busy (it comes in bursts) at one point midway through the afternoon, with me at the cash and several people waiting in line, and JS doing gift wrapping.

I occasionally glance at the back of the store to keep an eye on people and products. At one point, I notice the storage room/office door open, get a strange feeling in my mind, but go back to all the customers waiting to pay, thinking to myself that JS probably just forgot to close the back door. When it was time for me to head home at the end of my shift, I discover that I should have trusted that strange feeling...someone had gone into my bag and wallet, taking all my cash (~$40, they emptied every last penny!) and my primary credit card!! I felt angry, frustrated, sad all at once.

How could someone be so bold and nasty during this time of the year?!! Unfortunately, we were so busy, neither one of us could give a description of the thief or even tell you if it was male or female. I called the cops and made a report. There wasn't much they could do, since I had no information, so they didn't bother to send a cop over. All I could do was cancel the credit card immediately and feel angry about the cash I lost (money from childcare the night before) that was going towards a staff Christmas gift for my Dansk bosses.

I don't usually stay angry for long though; soon afterwards, I had lots to be thankful for, despite the invasion of my privacy from a complete stranger. I rarely have any cash on me, so the fact that there was cash in my wallet may have saved my whole wallet (ie. student card, driver's licence, bank card, etc) from being stolen. For that, I'm really glad. Cancelling one credit card was not too hard to do, and it seems that no purchases had been made on it without my knowledge. No store product, it seems, was stolen. I'm also thankful that I had picked up my paycheque before starting work, putting it into my bag instead of my wallet.

That was a nasty end to my day, but the evening made up for it all. Sunday night, I went to a staff party for everyone who works with me at Dansk. It was held at one of the manager's house, and it was a big, yet cosy house on the edge of town. The house was decorated so wonderfully, it was like stepping into a house right out of a designer magazine!! If you've ever come into the store, you'll understand what I mean. My two managers know how to cook, and they cooked up a storm. We had drinks in the kitchen and living room, delicious appetizers in the sitting room, and dinner (complete with salad, salmon/steak, and then dessert) in the dining room. Dinner was all set up in the formal way, as in, there are so many utensils you don't know where to begin (you work your way in starting from the outer-most utensils, in case you didn't know :P).

We had so much food, I felt stuffed at the end of the night. The conversation was fun, absolutely hilarious at times, and I'm guessing wine helped things along a bit. He he. All in all, it was a classy evening with great people, wonderful food, and designer-decorated rooms/house! And I got a fantastic gift bag from the bosses: it was stemware - 6 purple, tall, narrow glasses. It'll be useful at some point in the near future...I love getting gifts that I need! Now I wish I had a digital camera to show you the fabulous house and the gift I got!

Speaking of digital cameras...ideally, I would love to get a digital SLR...but that's way outside my budget and I still have a working old-style SLR. So I'd consider settling with a smaller, Canon-brand digital point-and-shoot type that has a manual override (for when I feel artistic). :) And while we're on the topic of stuff I need...I need to invest in a backpack that can tote my laptop as well as a few books/snacks/lunch/water bottle. Any suggestions?